LAS VEGAS (AP) – Las Vegas firefighters are calling a homeless man a hero for saving two small children from a fire.
Fire officials say a 3-year-old girl and a 10-month-old boy were trapped in a burning apartment Friday morning.
Authorities say the children’s grandfather was cooking food and the stove caught fire. The grandfather escaped from a back bedroom but couldn’t get to the children.
Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski says that’s when a homeless man identified as 36-year-old Anival Angelo jumped a gate and pulled a locked security door open so he could rescue the children. He then escaped the flames out a back window.
Szymanski says the children could have been burned or killed if Angulo had not been there. The children were treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation.
Authorities say the damage to the home is estimated at $50,000.
Las Vegas Fire & Rescue is call the man a true hero.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)