Arrest Made In London Train Bombing

LONDON (AP) – The Latest on the London subway attack and manhunt for suspects (all times local):

3 p.m.

British police say that armed officers are searching a home in a London suburb and evacuating neighbors as a precaution as part of the investigation into the subway blast.

Police say the operation is taking place in Sunbury, an area on the southwestern outskirts of the capital and about five miles (eight kilometers) from London’s Heathrow Airport.

Police said cordons were put in place around the neighborhood to clear the area for police.


London (CNN) Police arrested an 18-year-old man Saturday morning in the port area of Dover in connection with an attack on a train at a London Underground station a day earlier, London’s Metropolitan Police said.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for counterterrorism policing, described it as a “significant arrest” but said the investigation continues.

“This arrest will lead to more activity from our officers. For strong investigative reasons we will not give any more details on the man we arrested at this stage,” he said.

Dover, which lies about 80 miles southeast of London, is a port town with regular ferry services to France.  The suspect, who was arrested under the Terrorism Act, is currently being held in a local police station, the Met Police said. He will be transferred to a south London police station “in due course,” the statement said.

The London Underground station in Parsons Green where an improvised device exploded on a train during the Friday morning rush hour reopened early Saturday.

The device went off while the train was stopped at the southwest London station, injuring at least 29 people. The incident prompted UK authorities to raise the national threat level from “severe” to “critical,” meaning an attack is expected imminently.

Less than 24 hours later, the suburban Tube station was back in use by travelers, although with a visible police presence outside as it first opened its doors. An officer on the scene told CNN that transport through Parsons Green was “back to normal.”

Meanwhile, hundreds of police officers are scouring CCTV footage, questioning dozens of witnesses and studying the remnants of the device in search of clues to the identity of those responsible.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s