Hospital In Lockdown After Reported Shooting

LEBANON, N.H. (CBS) — A person is in police custody following reports of an active shooter at New Hampshire’s largest hospital and at least a partial evacuation of the facility Tuesday, according to the Lebanon Police Department.

Early Tuesday afternoon police told people to avoid the area surrounding the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, and traffic was stopped on a route leading to the hospital.

It is not clear if a shooting occurred, but police released an alert just before 3 p.m. saying they were investigating a “serious incident” at the hospital. Minutes later police said a person was in custody.

The hospital confirmed via Twitter earlier in the afternoon that the campus was “locked down following reports of an active shooter in the hospital” and said officials were assessing the situation. It is not clear if the lockdown has been lifted.

CBS affiliate WCAX-TV reports an employee said all workers received an email from the hospital about a “code silver,” telling them to get out if possible and otherwise to shelter in place. An employee tells the station the incident was reported around 1:30 p.m.

“Code silver” indicates that a violent situation is unfolding.

The Federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and Vermont state police assisted New Hampshire and local police.

Dartmouth College, located about two miles away from the hospital, tweeted that its campus was not on lockdown.

A spokesman for the hospital, Mike Barwell, would say only that they have reported “an incident” to the police and officers are responding.


The Latest On New Hampshire Hospital Shooting


LEBANON, N.H. (AP) New Hampshire authorities say an incident at an intensive care unit at its largest hospital prompted an active shooter alert, and a person was taken into custody while trying to leave the grounds.

It’s still not clear if a shooting happened Tuesday at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon.

Attorney General Gordon MacDonald, State Police Commander Christopher Wagner and hospital officials declined to answer questions after giving reporters a brief statement.

Authorities say the incident is over and the hospital is safe.

Rhode Island State Police have identified the person taken into custody as a Rhode Island resident. A state police spokeswoman says the suspect’s car had Rhode Island license plates so New Hampshire police reached out for help in identifying the person.

No further details on the suspect’s identity were released.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s