UPDATE SUNDAY June 18, 2017:
Late Sunday the Navy released a list of names of the deceased:
• Gunner’s Mate Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby, 19, from Palmyra, Va.
• Yeoman 3rd Class Shingo Alexander Douglass, 25, from San Diego
• Sonar Technician 3rd Class Ngoc T Truong Huynh, 25, from Oakville, Conn.
• Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Noe Hernandez, 26, from Weslaco, Texas
• Fire Controlman 2nd Class Carlosvictor Ganzon Sibayan, 23, from Chula Vista, Calif.
• Personnel Specialist 1st Class Xavier Alec Martin, 24, from Halethorpe, Md.
• Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., 37, from Elyria, Ohio
YOKOSUKA, Japan (AP) -The U.S. Navy says the bodies of sailors who went missing in the collision between the USS Fitzgerald and a container ship have been found aboard the stricken destroyer.
The U.S. Navy says the bodies of sailors who went missing in the collision between the USS Fitzgerald and a container ship have been found aboard the stricken destroyer.
The Navy says in a statement that searchers had gained access to the spaces that were damaged during the collision. A total of seven sailors had been missing since Saturday’s crash off Japan’s coast.
The Navy says the remains are being transferred to Naval Hospital Yokosuka where they will be identified. It says the families are being notified and being provided the support they need during “this difficult time.”
The names of the sailors will be released after all notifications are made.