The postseason of College Football will once again make a stop in Mobile, Ala. for the Dollar General Bowl on Friday, Dec. 23. Ladd-Peebles Stadium and the Port City will be playing host to Troy University and Ohio University over the next week.
This is the first year that Dollar General has taken over as the title sponsor of the game. GoDaddy.com was the previous sponsor of the bowl game in Mobile.
The teams and their players will be involved in several events leading up to kickoff on Friday. Here is a breakdown of where you can catch them this week:
Tuesday, Dec. 20
- 10 a.m.: Players and coaches from both teams will visit children at USA Children’s and Women’s Hospital in Mobile. Children will visit with the players, receive gifts and have their pictures taken.
- 2:35 to 5 p.m.: Ohio University will practice at UMS-Wright on Old Shell Road.
- 4 to 5:35 p.m.: Troy University will practice at Saraland High School on Industrial Parkway.
- 7 p.m.: The Camellia Lanes Players Bowling Challenge; players from both teams will compete in the Dollar General Bowl Bowling Championship at the bowling alley on Schillinger Road.
Wednesday, Dec. 21
- 9:20 to 10:40 a.m.: Troy University will practice at Saraland High School on Industrial Parkway.
- 11 a.m.: Battleship USS Alabama Team Luncheon; Players, coaches and family from Ohio University will enjoy a lunch at the famous battleship with bowl sponsors and city officials.
- 12 p.m.: Battleship USS Alabama Team Luncheon; Players, coaches and family from Troy University will enjoy the luncheon after Ohio.
- 2:45 to 4:45 p.m.: Ohio University practice at UMS-Wright on Old Shell Road.
Thursday, Dec. 22
- 12 p.m.: Dr. Pepper Mayor’s Luncheon; Join former head coach at South Carolina and Florida, Steve Spurrier, who will talk to the crowd about his career. Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson will also address the crowd. You can buy tickets to the luncheon here: http://dollargeneralbowl.com/events/mayors-luncheon/
- 5 p.m.: AL.com Street Party; The event in Bienville Square is free to public and will feature a DJ, Santa Claus, along with games and activities for the whole family.
- 6:30 p.m.: Greer’s/AL.com Mardi Gras Parade; over 16 Mardi Gras societies are helping put on the parade through the streets of downtown Mobile. Floats, throws, marching bands, cheerleaders and players from both teams will all be there Thursday night.
- 7:30 p.m.: AL.com Pep Rally; immediately following the parade, both schools will hold pep rallies on the outskirts of Bienville Square in downtown Mobile that will feature their bands, cheerleaders, alumni and fans.
Friday, Dec. 23
- 5 p.m.: Wind Creek Fanfest; a tailgate experience outside Ladd-Peebles Stadium that will feature games and activities. The Fan Fest will be in the parking lot on the east side of the stadium.
- 7 p.m.: Kickoff of the 18th Dollar General Bowl at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. The game will be broadcast to a national audience on ESPN. Officials also have a fireworks show planned immediately after the game is over. You can buy tickets to game here: http://dollargeneralbowl.com/tickets/