Local players, coaches and parents gathered at the WKRG Studios Tuesday night for Sideline 2016 Awards Banquet after a spectacular year of high school football on the Gulf Coast.
Blount’s Kadarius Toney was the big winner taking home the 2016 Player of the Year award after winning two Player of the Week awards during the season in weeks 1 and 12. Greene & Phillips Injury Lawyers sponsored the award given to Toney, who is committed to play for the Florida Gators and will be enrolling this January in Gainesville.
The 2016 Coach of the Year award went to Mobile Christian’s Ronnie Cottrell who led the Leopards to their first state championship game where they lost to Piedmont 22-12 in Auburn. Mobile Christian finished the 2016 season with a 13-2 record.
The next award of the night went to the McGill-Toolen Yellow Jackets for the 2016 Play of the Year. In week 13 against Enterprise in the 7A playoffs, quarterback Bubba Thompson tossed an 85-yard touchdown to Larry Rembert with 1:00 left on the clock. Not to mention, the Yellow Jackets scored the touchdown on fourth down and long to advance to the third round of the playoffs.
Other local players acknowledged during the banquet included winners of the player of the week award throughout the season.
- Week 2: McGill-Toolen’s Bubba Thompson
- Week 3: Baker’s Darius Bracy
- Week 4: Davidson’s James Clemons
- Week 5: UMS-Wright’s Michael Matthews
- Week 6: McGill-Toolen’s Marlon Williams
- Week 7: St. Paul’s Tamaurice Smith
- Week 8: Daphne’s Mike Franklin
- Week 9: Vigor’s Cameron Williams
- Week 10: Baldwin County High School’s Jonathan Norris
- Week 11: Saraland’s Jack West