Weeks after cell phone video exposing a graphic bullying incident at Semmes Middle School went viral, the Mobile County School System placed Principal Brenda Shenesey on administrative leave.
The bullied teen who was shown in the video, 13-year-old Drew Breton, returned to class on Wednesday, greeted by Superintendent Martha Peek as soon as he stepped off the school bus.
His mother, Kimberly Breton, said she’s pleased with how her son’s first day back went, but it’s too soon to tell whether or not conditions are truly changing at the school.
“There’s a lot that needs to be worked out. It’s too early to tell what changes are working and not working,” Breton said.
Breton’s attorney, Christine Hernandez, said they’re not sure if they’re going to press charges yet or not.
“We’re really in the early stages,” Hernandez said. “We’re going to do whatever’s necessary to make sure the problem’s handled.”
A spokesperson for the school system said they couldn’t elaborate on Shenesey’s leave or their investigation and referred us to a statement they released earlier this week.
Mobile County Public Schools does not condone the behavior as shown in the video. We are taking this matter seriously and our investigation is ongoing. Corrective actions have been taken, and procedural changes are being made.