UPDATE: Governor Bentley has also retracted his support on Trump. In a statement to the Montgomery Advertiser:
“Donald Trump’s comments regarding women were disgraceful and appalling. There are absolutely no circumstances under which it would ever be appropriate to speak of women in such a way.”
Bentley endorsed Ohio Gov. John Kasich for president last summer and sharply criticized Trump in the lead-up to Alabama’s March 1 primary, but said earlier this year he planned to vote for Trump. Through his spokeswoman, Yasamie August, Bentley said Saturday his plans had changed.
“I certainly won’t vote for Hillary Clinton, but I cannot and will not vote for Donald Trump,” he said in a statement.”
With just a month to go before the election, Alabama Republican Representatives Martha Roby and Bradley Byrne issued strong statements today saying their party’s nominee needs to step aside.
Roby said the following:
Donald Trump’s behavior makes him unacceptable as a candidate for president, and I won’t vote for him.
As disappointed as I’ve been with his antics throughout this campaign, I thought supporting the nominee was the best thing for our country and our party. Now, it is abundantly clear that the best thing for our country and our party is for Trump to step aside and allow a responsible, respectable Republican to lead the ticket.
Hillary Clinton must not be president, but, with Trump leading the ticket, she will be.
Byrne echoed Roby, also saying Trump needs to step aside, but specifying that Mike Pence should lead the ticket. Pence was reportedly “furious” after hearing Trump’s remarks.
Donald Trump’s comments regarding women were disgraceful and appalling,” Byrne said. “There are absolutely no circumstances under which it would ever be appropriate to speak of women in such a way.
It is now clear Donald Trump is not fit to be President of the United States and cannot defeat Hillary Clinton. I believe he should step aside and allow Governor Pence to lead the Republican ticket.
As for Trump, he has already said there is a “zero percent chance” of him quitting the race for the presidency.
All of this comes on the heels of a Washington Post exclusive that revealed Trump making sexually charged statements about a woman back in 2005. He spoke with Billy Bush about grabbing a married woman by her genitals. “I did try and f— her,” he said. “She was married.”
That led many other prominent Republicans to balk, including Ted Cruz and Paul Ryan.
“These comments are disturbing and inappropriate, there is simply no excuse for them,” said Cruz.
“I am sickened by what I heard today,” Ryan said. “Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified. I hope Mr. Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests.”
Republican chairman Reince Priebus released a short statement: “No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner. Ever.”
Hillary Clinton called the remarks “horrific.” She is dealing with campaign issues of her own right now after thousands of emails were released by WikiLeaks from John Podesta.
The New York Times released an investigative report recently after interviewing more than 50 people who worked with Trump that revealed other stories of Trump acting inappropriately with women.
“He kissed me directly on the lips,” Temple Taggart, Miss Utah in 1997, told The New York Times in one example. “I thought, “Oh my God, gross.”
In the same recording of Trump speaking to Bush, he is overheard telling Bush that he just kisses women without asking them.
He issued an apology last night.
“I’ve never said I’m a perfect person, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not,” he said. “I’ve said and done things that I regret, and the words released today on this more than a decade old video are one of them.” He also said the conversation with Bush was “locker room talk” and said Bill Clinton had said worse to him “on the golf course.”
Bush has released a statement saying he is “embarrassed” by the conversation he had with Trump.
News 5 will have the latest on Campaign 2016 on our next newscast.