NTSB: Hot air balloon made contact with a utility wire

CALDWELL COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) — While the National Transportation Safety Board hasn’t determined what might have caused a hot air balloon to crash killing 16, initial information indicates the balloon did have contact with a utility transmission wire. NTSB Board Member Robert Sumwalt says there is physical evidence that some component of the balloon hit the wire itself and not the tower.

On Sunday, the NTSB’s Go Team arrived at the site of the wreckage to collect “perishable evidence” from the scene and then analyze that data to help determine what caused the crash and how to prevent similar incidents in the future, Sumwalt explained. In a news conference Sunday afternoon, Sumwalt said the investigation into Saturday’s crash near Lockhart will include a thorough look at the operator, the balloon and the environment. In particular, investigators will review the specific weather conditions and how it changed from take off until the incident.

“The weather report in the area showed a 500-foot ceiling. Not only the cloud cover, visibility and the winds, but we will also be looking at the temperature to see if the conditions might have created a density altitude,” said Sumwalt.

Sumwalt said the balloon, a Kubicek Model#BB85Z, was operated by Heart of Texas Hot Air Balloon Rides. The passengers met the balloon operator at the Walmart in San Marcos at 5:45 a.m. Saturday and everyone rode together to Fentress Airpark in San Marcos where the balloon launched around 6:45 a.m. Less than one hour into the flight and about 8 miles from where the balloon took off, the first power line trip was reported by the utility company at 7:42 a.m. Approximately one minute later, a 911 call came in reporting a possible crash. Sumwalt says the envelope of the balloon was located about 3/4 of a mile northeast of the gondola.

In order to help investigators piece together what happened, they will be interviewing the balloon crew as well as look at the balloon’s maintenance records. Investigators have recovered 14 personal electronic devices (cellphones, one iPad and three cameras) from the wreckage. While the cameras appear to be destroyed, Sumwalt says the evidence will be turned over to the FBI to see if any information can still be extracted from the equipment.

The NTSB is expected to release a preliminary report within 10 days but the investigation will likely take several months before a final, factual finding report is made available.

“We’re not here to solve the accident at this time,” said Sumwalt. “We’re not going to speculate on the accident.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s