Deadly bombing strikes demonstration in Kabul

An Afghan protester screams near the scene of a suicide attack that targeted crowds of minority Shiite Hazaras during a demonstration at the Deh Mazang Circle in Kabul on July 23, 2016. (Wakil Kohsar/AFP/Getty Images)

UPDATE 10:15 a.m. (AP) – Afghanistan’s Interior Ministry says the death toll in a suicide attack on a peaceful demonstration in Kabul has climbed to 80.

The ministry says in a statement Saturday that at least 231 people were wounded.

A suicide bomber struck a protest march in Kabul by members of Afghanistan’s ethnic Hazara community, who are predominantly Shiite Muslims. Most of the population is Sunni.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack via its Aamaq news agency. If the claim proves true, it will be the first by the extremists in the Afghan capital, and one of the deadliest in Afghanistan since the Taliban launched their insurgency in 2001.

A spokesman for President Ashraf Ghani told The Associated Press that march organizers had been warned of the possibility of an attack.

ORIGINAL STORY – KABUL, Afghanistan (CBS News) — An explosion struck a large demonstration march in the Afghan capital, Kabul, on Saturday, causing multiple casualties, according to officials and witnesses.

Ministry of Public Health spokesman Ismail Kawosi said 61 people were killed and 207 wounded, CBS News’ Ahmad Mukhtar reports.

The marchers were ethnic Hazaras demanding that a major regional electric power line be routed through their impoverished home province. Most Hazaras are Shiite Muslims but most Afghans are Sunni.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, claimed responsibility for the bombing. A statement reported Saturday by the ISIS-linked Aamaq online news agency said two ISIS militants detonated their explosive vests in the crowds.

Hazaras are predominantly Shiite Muslims, and ISIS views all Shiites as apostates.

Sediq Sediqqi, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said police were working to confirm how many blasts had taken place.

“We can’t yet identify what sort of blast it was or how many people have been affected,” he said. “We are right now in a very difficult situation.”

Eyewitness Ramin Anwari described seeing up to eight bodies in the Demazang area, where protesters were preparing to set up a camp after a four-hour march. He had no further details.

One of the march organizers Laila Mohammadi said she arrived at the scene soon after the blast and saw “many dead and wounded people.”

Footage on Afghan television and photographs posted on social media showed a scene of carnage, with numerous bodies and body parts spread across the square.

Angry demonstrations sealed some of the area around the square, and prevented police and other security forces from entering. Some threw stones at security forces.

President Ashraf Ghani released a statement condemning the blast. “Peaceful demonstrations are the right of every citizen of Afghanistan and the government will do everything it can to provide them with security,” Ghani said.

His spokesman, Haroon Chakhansuri said Ghani would appear on live television later in the day.

Amnesty International issued a statement saying the “horrific attack” on the Hazara demonstration “demonstrates the utter disregard that armed groups have for human life.”

“Such attacks are a reminder that the conflict in Afghanistan is not winding down, as some believe, but escalating, with consequences for the human rights situation in the country that should alarm us all,” it quoted Champa Patel, Amnesty’s South Asia director, as saying.

Violence had been feared at what was the second demonstration by Hazaras over the power line issue. The last one in May attracted tens of thousands of people, also shutting down the central business district.

The May march was attended by Hazara political leaders, who were notable by their absence on Saturday.

At the height of the march, demonstrators chanted slogans against Ghani and Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, shouting “death to discrimination” and “all Afghans are equal.”

The so-called TUTAP line is backed by the Asian Development Bank with involvement of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan. The original plan routed the line through Bamiyan province, in the central highlands, where most of the country’s Hazaras live.

That route was changed in 2013 by the previous Afghan government. Leaders of the marches have said that the rerouting was evidence of bias against the Hazara community, which accounts for up to 15 percent of Afghanistan’s estimated 30 million-strong population.

They are considered the poorest of the country’s ethnic groups, and often complain of discrimination. Bamiyan is poverty stricken, though it is largely peaceful and has potential as a tourist destination.

Afghanistan is desperately short of power, with less than 40 percent of the population connected to the national grid, according to the World Bank. Almost 75 percent of electricity is imported.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s