Crews working on replacing gas lines in one midtown Mobile neighborhood had a little more to deal with early Wednesday. It happened on Bromley Place, just off Airport Boulevard.
A Mobile Gas spokesman said subcontractors operating a track hoe snagged an existing gas line, causing a leak. Mobile Fire Rescue said a gas light on the property sparked a fire.
The result was a spectacle of an inferno fueled by a leaking gas main. Those crews managed to pull the track hoe out of the flames.
A valve just up the street was eventually found to turn off the gas and the natural gas left in the line was allowed to burn off.
Mobile Fire Rescue says no property was endangered and no one was injured.