- 1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed or peeled, and sliced into sticks about 3 inches long and ½ inch wide.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package extra firm organic tofu, crumbled
- 2 Tbs. Earth Balance or other vegan butter
- ½ small onion, minced
- 1 bell pepper (any color) chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper (abt ¼ tsp of each)
- ¼ cup Daiya cheese (any flavor-optional)
- 4 tortilla shells
- Hot sauce (optional)
For tempeh bacon:
- 1 package tempeh, sliced into very thin strips
- ¼ cup grapeseed or canola oil
- Approx. 2 T tamari or soy sauce
To make burritos:
Pre-heat oven to 375. Assemble sweet potatoes in shallow baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for about 45 minutes or until golden and tender. Meanwhile, to make tofu scramble, heat butter in skillet over medium high heat until melted. Add in onion and bell pepper and sauté until golden and slightly browned. Add in garlic and sauté just until slightly golden, being careful not to burn. Add in tofu and scramble/mash well. Add turmeric, oregano, nutritional yeast, salt & pepper. Continue to sauté and stir until tofu begins to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Top with cheese, lower heat to low, and cover pan to allow daiya to begin to melt. Once cheese has begun to melt, remove from heat and serve either on its own or wrapped in a tortilla with roasted sweet potatoes and hot sauce. Serve with side of tempeh bacon. Serves 4.
To make tempeh “bacon”:
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add tempeh and sautee until golden brown on both sides (flipping to brown on both sides)
- Transfer tempeh to paper towels to drain.
- Return tempeh to frying pan and add 2 teaspoons tamari, tossing pan to cover tempeh with tamari. Remove and serve.