San Bernardino shooting: Third suspect detained, at least 14 killed


SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) – The latest on the mass shooting at a social services facility in San Bernardino, California (all times local):

5:20 a.m. 12/3/2015

In San Bernardino, California, a heavily armed man and woman dressed for battle opened fire on a holiday banquet for his co-workers, killing 14 people and seriously wounding more than a dozen others in a precision assault, authorities said. Hours later, they died in a shootout with police.

Authorities are trying to determine a motive, which could include workplace violence or terrorism.

Wednesday’s shooting happened at a social services center for the disabled where the suspect’s colleagues with the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health were renting space for a celebration. It was the nation’s deadliest mass shooting since the attack at a school in Newtown, Connecticut, three years ago that left 26 children and adults dead.

San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan identified one dead suspect as Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, the other as Tashfeen Malik, 27, his wife or fiancee. Burguan said Farook was born in the United States; the chief said he did not know Malik’s background.


10:55 p.m.

The suspect in the Southern California shooting that left 14 dead traveled to Saudi Arabia earlier this year and returned with a wife.

Co-worker Patrick Baccari says Syed Farook was gone for about a month in the spring. When he came back word got around Farook had been married, and the woman he described as a pharmacist joined him shortly afterward. A baby followed.

Baccari says the reserved Farook showed no signs of unusual behavior, although he grew out his beard several months ago.

Baccari said he been sitting at the same table as Farook at an office party Wednesday morning, but his co-worker suddenly disappeared, leaving his coat on his chair.

Baccari said he had stepped into the bathroom when the shooting started and suffered minor wounds from shrapnel slicing through the wall.


10:45 p.m.

A relative says photos widely circulating on the Internet are not of the suspect in the mass shooting in Southern California.

Farhan Khan says he is suspect Syed Rizwam Farook’s brother-in-law. Khan says photos from Facebook are of Farook’s brother who was at work at the time of the shooting.

Khan, who is married to Farook’s sister, spoke to reporters at the Anaheim, California, office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Khan says he last spoke to Farook about a week ago. He added that he had “absolutely no idea why he would do this. I am shocked myself.”


10:10 p.m.

Police say they believe the man and woman killed in a gun battle with police after Wednesday’s mass shooting were the only two shooters.

San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan identified the woman killed in the gun battle as 27-year-old Tashfeen Malik.

The other suspect was previously identified as 28-year-old Syed Farook. Relatives have said the two were married.

Farook was an environmental specialist with the county health department who sometimes worked at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino.

Burguan told reporters that Farook angrily left an office holiday party earlier Wednesday before returning with Malik.

Hussam Ayloush, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, says the couple left their baby with family Wednesday morning and never returned.


8:55 p.m.

The brother-in-law of one of the suspects says he was stunned to hear of his relative’s involvement in Wednesday’s shooting.

Farhan Khan, who is married to the sister of Syed Farook, spoke to reporters at the Anaheim office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Khan says he last spoke to Farook about a week ago. He added that he had “absolutely no idea why he would do this. I am shocked myself.”

Khan says other family members asked him to speak at the news conference, and to express their sadness over the shootings.

UPDATE: One suspect identified by FBI

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) – A law enforcement official has identified Syed Farook as one of the suspects in a mass shooting in Southern California on Wednesday that left at least 14 people dead at a social service center and more than a dozen others wounded.

The official, who was briefed on the case, was not authorized to speak to the media about the ongoing investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Police say two suspects – a man and a woman – were killed in a gunbattle with police after the shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino.

Police say another person who was spotted running near the gunbattle was detained but they have said it is unclear if that person had anything to do with the shooting.

Meanwhile, officers are focused on a home in suburban Redlands. The SUV that was shot up during the gunbattle is believed to have been seen leaving the residence earlier.

7:40 p.m.

Two suspects dead: 1 male, 1 female. They had assault style clothing, assault rifles, and handguns. Police are investigating possible explosive devices. The third suspect has been detained. The two suspects killed were the only ones inside the SUV. They exchanged fire with law enforcement.

6:09 p.m.

Police: Suspect shot, officer injured in gunbattle following California mass shooting.

4:15 p.m.

Police say one suspect in the deadly shooting at a social services facility in Southern California has been shot in a gunbattle with officers.

San Bernardino police Sgt. Vicki Cervantes said Wednesday that there is still possibly a suspect “outstanding.”

Cervantes would not elaborate, and the condition of the suspect was not known. She says an officer was hurt in the shootout and went to the hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.

Armored police vehicles are surrounding a dark-colored SUV with shattered windows on a residential street.

Authorities say gunmen killed at least 14 people and wounded more than a dozen others at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino.


3:30 p.m.

Police say shots have been fired and a suspect is down near a dark-colored SUV.

It’s unclear if the suspect is related to the deadly shooting Wednesday at a social services facility in Southern California. Police have said that the suspects may have fled in a dark SUV.

San Bernardino police Sgt. Vicki Cervantes said she knew of no officers who were injured in the shootout.

Television footage showed armored vehicles blocking the SUV on a residential street.

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — As many as three gunmen believed to be wearing military-style gear opened fire Wednesday at a Southern California social services center, killing at least 14 people and wounding more than a dozen others, authorities said.

FBI agents and other law enforcement authorities converged on the center and searched room to room for the attacker or attackers, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said. But he said they may have escaped in a dark SUV, he said.

Gallery: Multiple people shot at California social services center

“They came prepared to do what they did, as if they were on a mission,” Burguan said, noting the attackers carried long guns – which can mean rifles or shotguns.

Police shed no light on a motive.

Witnesses said several people locked themselves in their offices, desperately waiting to be rescued by police, after gunfire erupted at the Inland Regional Center, which serves people with developmental disabilities.

The attack took place in a rented-out conference area where the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health was holding a banquet, said Maybeth Feild, president and CEO of the center. She said the building houses at least 25 employees as well as a library and conference center.

No weapons were recovered at the center, though authorities were investigating unidentified items in the building and have brought in bomb squads, Burguan said.

Ten of the wounded were hospitalized in critical condition, and three were in serious conditioni, San Bernardino Fire Chief Tom Hannemann said. Police cautioned that the number of people killed and wounded were preliminary estimates that could change.

San Bernardino police spokesman Sgt. Vicki Cervantes told The Associated Press there were reports from witnesses of one to three gunmen.

As the manhunt went on, stores, office buildings and at least one school were locked down in the city of 214,000 people about 60 miles east of Los Angeles, and roads were blocked off.

Triage units were set up outside the center, and people were seen being wheeled away on stretchers. Others walked quickly from a building with their hands up. They were searched by police before being reunited with loved ones.

President Barack Obama was briefed on the attack by his homeland security adviser.

He said it was too early to know the shooters’ motives, but urged the country to take steps to reduce the frequency of mass shootings. He told CBS that stricter gun laws, including stronger background checks, would make the country safer.

“The one thing we do know is that we have a pattern now of mass shootings in this country that has no parallel anywhere else in the world, and there’s some steps we could take, not to eliminate every one of these mass shootings, but to improve the odds that they don’t happen as frequently,” Obama said.

Terry Petit said his daughter works at the center, and he got a text from her saying she was hiding in the building after hearing gunshots. Petit choked back tears as he read the texts for reporters outside the center. He said she wrote: “People shot. In the office waiting for cops. Pray for us. I am locked in an office.”

Marcos Aguilera’s wife was in the building when the gunfire erupted. He said a shooter entered the building next to his wife’s office and opened fire.

“They locked themselves in her office. They seen bodies on the floor,” Aguilera told KABC-TV, adding that his wife was able to get out of the building unharmed.

The social services center has two large buildings that require a badge to get in, said Sheela Stark, an Inland Regional Center board member. However, the conference room where many public events take place – including the banquet on Wednesday – is usually left open when visitors are expected.

Contributing to this report were Brian Melley, John Antczak, Christopher Weber, John Rogers, Christine Armario, Gillian Flaccus and Sue Manning in Los Angeles; Amy Taxin in San Bernardino; Alina Hartounian in Phoenix; Michael Sisak in Philadelphia; and Hannah Cushman in Chicago.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s