Gulf Shores Man Claims Hoverboard Exploded Under His Feet

flames

“I came outside turned it on, came down the sidewalk not even a 100 feet, and it exploded,” said Timothy Cade, Gulf Shores.

Timothy Cade had his hoverboard scooter for just three days before it caught on fire last Friday.

“Batteries started shooting out of it; you would not expect a fire like that to come out of a little thing like that. I was not expecting something like that,” said Cade.

Soon after Cade grabbed his phone and began recording his hoverboard scooter engulfed in flames.

“I was yelling my mom’s name, and she ran out with some baking soda because I didn’t know what to put on that type of fire.”

That did little, and soon flames shot up higher. He debated moving it, but it’s not that light, it weighs over 25 pounds. Shortly after he got cups of water and doused the fire.

Cade is now trying to get a refund. He bought it from a seller on Amazon, and emails to both parties have ended in frustration.

“I’ve sent this lady, numerous and numerous amount of messages.”

He’s actually planning to buy a replacement from another manufacturer.

“They’re so fun; I would take more precaution with the batteries because I think it was the batteries that blew up.”

While’s he’s not afraid to try another board, he’s warning other people about what could happen.

“If that was a kid to have that happen, or imagine if that was in your house?”

Cade is not sure what could have set off the scooter. He says he followed instructions, kept it unplugged when it was fully charged, and he is not close to the weight limit of 220 pounds.

blog comments powered by Disqus