The Walton County Sheriff’s Office Vice/Narcotics Unit, with the assistance from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE), and the State Attorney’s Office, conducted a sting operation targeting active prostitution rings in South Walton, resulting in seven arrests. Those arrests include two sisters who were unaware of each other’s activities.
The Operation began after receiving multiple complaints from citizen’s stating they believed prostitutes had moved into their neighborhoods and were actively using various websites to advertise their business. Based on these complaints, the Vice/Narcotics Unit began an operation aimed at women posting solicitation advertisements on various websites. On Thursday, October 22nd the operation was put into action and began at an undisclosed location in South Walton.
The operation revolved around the use of an undercover officer contacting females through Internet advertisements. During this contact, the women agreed to meet at a hotel room on Scenic Gulf Drive. Once the women arrived they offered sex or sex acts for money. All parties charged during this operation were found with illegal narcotics on their persons including needles used for methamphetamine. All were charged additionally with those violations. One male subject who provided transportation for a female was also arrested on drug related charges.
Arrests from Operation South Beach include:
- Molly McCarty, 39, Prostitution, Cocaine possession, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Sara Scruggs, 27, Prostitution, Cocaine possession, possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, marijuana possession, possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Shoshannah Diaz, 30, Prostitution, Possession of a Controlled Substance without a prescription, two counts of selling methamphetamine, two out-of-county warrants.
- Yohannah Dwyer, (Sister of Shoshannah) 31, Prostitution, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana.
- Tara Buntyn, 45, Prostitution, possession of drug paraphernalia, out-of-county warrant.
- Joshua Johnson, 27, Possession of a Controlled Substance without a prescription, possession paraphernalia.
- Jennifer Pope, 40, possession of drug paraphernalia.
Additional arrests are expected from this operation
“All prostitution activity we encountered over the weekend stems from drug addiction,” said Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson. “It has devastating affects not just to a person’s health, but their ability to make the decisions that will keep them out of trouble. It’s tragic.”
A special thanks to the Walton County Jail and the WCSO Uniform Patrol Division for their assistance during this operation.