PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A meteorite possibly sparked a grass fire on a home’s lawn in SE on Thursday morning.
Rich Tyler with Portland Fire and Rescue says crews found a patch scorched grass about 5 feet in diameter. They say that based on the angle of the trajectory, the burn looks like it came from the sky, or above ground.
The home is located on SE 44th ave. Officials spoke with neighbors and compared stories who said a flash and a boom caused the fire.
“We are not in the business of identifying meteorites, just extinguishing fires,” Tyler said, but he didn’t deny the possibility.
The cause of the fire is currently listed as naturally caused, but they are looking into having the soil tested to confirm.
The Perseid meteor shower peaked on Wednesday night and was visible throughout the US.