Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage
- 12 ounces uncooked ziti pasta
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb ground Italian Sausage
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup firmly packed fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 (8 oz) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the ziti pasta al dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pancetta or bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add, onion and garlic, and saute 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add sausage, and saute 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add wine, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, and next 3 ingredients. Reduce heat to low and cook 3 minutes – stirring occasionally.
- Stir ricotta and 1 cup mozzarella into hot cooked pasta. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer pasta mixture to prepared dish, and top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.