• 6 – 6 inch pieces of the skinny Conecuh sausage
• 6 pieces of thin cut bacon
• ½ cup dark brown sugar
• 2 tsp dark chili powder
• 2 tsp paprika
• 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
• ½ tsp red pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a pan with foil and place a
baking rack on top of the foil. Spray the rack with nonstick spray.
2. In a bowl combine and mix the spices thoroughly.
3. Wrap the sausage pieces each with 1 piece of the bacon,
overlapping slightly and stretching from end to end. Working with cold bacon and sausage is easier.
4. Roll the bacon wrapped sausage in the spice mixture making sure
all sides are well covered.
5. Bake until crisp, about 30 minutes, turning at 10 minutes
intervals. Allow to cool before serving.
• The trick is to slowly bake the sugar so that it caramelizes and
hardens when cooled. A hotter oven may burn the sugar so watch closely.
• This also makes an excellent appetizer by preparing bite sized
portions. Cut sausage the same width as the bacon and cut the bacon slice in 3rds. Wrap each piece of sausage with the 1/3 of a piece of bacon. Roll in the spice mixture and bake as directed above.
• Trust me, cool completely before serving! The hot sugar and the
juicy sausage are dangerous. I speak from experience.