Pope Francis’ biggest step yet to hold bishops accountable for abuse

Pope Francis
Argentina's Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio giving a mass outside San Cayetano church in Buenos Aires, Aug. 7, 2009. Bergoglio, who took the name of Pope Francis, was elected on March 13, 2013 the 266th pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church.

VATICAN CITY – Pope Francis has created a new tribunal section inside the Vatican to hear cases of bishops accused of covering up for priests who raped and molested children, the biggest step the Holy See has taken to hold bishops accountable for abuse.

For years, the Vatican has been criticized by victims, advocacy groups and others for having failed to ever punish or forcibly remove a bishop who moved predator priests around from parish to parish rather than report them to police or remove them from ministry.

The Vatican said Wednesday that Francis had approved proposals made by his sexual abuse advisory board to address that lapse. The board includes two survivors of abuse and experts in child protection policies and their proposal calls for a new mechanism by which the Vatican can now receive and examine complaints of abuse of office by bishops and bring bishops to trial in a Vatican tribunal.

A special new judicial section, with permanent staff, will be created inside the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith “to judge bishops with regard to crimes of the abuse of office when connected to the abuse of minors,” a Vatican statement said.

Details must still be worked out, including the statute of limitations to determine whether old cases of negligence by bishops dating back 20 or 30 years ago can now be heard.

The congregation currently reviews all cases of priests who have abused minors and the statute of limitations on actual abuse is 20 years, though the congregation can waive that limit.

“Really pleased the Holy Father has approved our proposal,” Commission member Marie Collins, herself a survivor of abuse, told The Associated Press in an email.

The main U.S. victims group SNAP was more cautious, noting that there are bishops currently in office who have delayed reporting abuse and yet no punishment has ever been meted out.

“In the face of this widespread denial, timidity and inaction, let’s be prudent, stay vigilant and withhold judgment until we see if and how this panel might act,” said SNAP’s David Clohessy.

The sex abuse scandal exploded decades ago in the U.S., Ireland, Australia and elsewhere in large part because bishops and heads of religious orders moved pedophile priests around or sent them off for therapy, rather than report the crimes to police and conduct church trials as canon law requires. Their aim was to prevent scandal and hold onto their priests at almost any cost.

In 2001, the Vatican required all bishops and religious superiors to send all their abuse cases to Rome in a bid to crack down on the abusers. In the ensuing years thousands of priests were sanctioned and hundreds defrocked. But their bosses who enabled them to continue abusing were never punished.

In April, Francis accepted the resignation of U.S. bishop Robert Finn, who had been convicted in a U.S. court of failing to report a suspected child abuser. It was a sign Francis was cracking down on bishops, but that was a resignation that Finn offered, not Francis forcibly removing him.

Recently, prosecutors in Minnesota filed criminal charges against the archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis over its handling of clergy abuse claims, saying church leaders failed to protect children from unspeakable harm and “turned a blind eye” to repeated reports of inappropriate behavior by a priest who was later convicted of molesting two boys.

The archdiocese is facing a fine of a few thousand dollars. No individuals were named.

The Vatican said Cardinal Sean O’Malley, the head of Francis’ sex abuse advisory commission, presented the proposals to Francis’ cardinal advisers, who have been meeting this week. The panel approved the measures, as did Francis, who authorized funding for full-time personnel to staff the new office, the Vatican said.

Terrence McKiernan, president of the online resource BishopAccountability.org, said the new tribunal was “a promising step” and that it was particularly significant that the Vatican was allocating senior staff and funding to it. But he said there were already several well-known cases of active bishops and cardinals who failed in their duty to protect children.

“This system will be coping with the complex interactions of enabling and offending that we see in cases involving bishops,” he said in a statement. “Priests abuse children and so do bishops – bishops who offend are inevitably enablers, and the commission’s plan must confront that sad fact.”

Canon law already does provide sanctions for bishops who are negligent in their duties, but the Vatican was never known to have meted out punishment for a bishop who covered up for an abuser.

The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said that with the new proposals there is now a specific, defined process by which the Vatican can do so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s